Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 25-26

First, please read today's announcements.

Please complete the following set of questions:




This form was created using Google Forms...an application you can now access and utilize when needed thanks to your creating a Google account when you created your Gmail. Yes, I will show you how to do to create such forms...as soon as we all have our emails created.

Please click here to check out the source for the last question.

The beauty of such an exercise in using just six words establishes the importance of word choice. Here's a challenge for you: (Go ahead...raise your right hand...and solemnly promise) From this moment on, I will attempt to NOT use "is" as the only verb in a sentence.

Is it a crime to use just "is" as your main verb? NO! The overuse of "is," though, does allude to your writing style and screams to all your readers: I AM A LAZY WRITER.

Do you know that in re-reading this post, I had to change several uses of "is"?(That's right...go ahead...count how many times I used "is" as the only verb within a sentence.) Answer? In a few minutes, I will tell you how many verbs I had to revise...just one small step towards developing my writing style even more.

"No-No" List!

things/stuff
it
Starting sentences with "I think....I feel...I believe"
Seconnd person = "you"
Starting sentences with "There are...there is...here were..."
Contractions = can't, don't, aren't...


TO-DO LIST:

1. Draft metaphorical paper.
2. Select your out-of-class read.
3. Set up your gmail account and your Penzu account.

So far so good! We are off to a grand start!

No comments: